Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hog Maw

Last night we traveled a whole 3/4 of a mile down to Frog Hollow proper to the Mullers' house for their annual Hog Maw feast and New Year's Day party. We had a great time -- our first time out of the house in a long time! Trish had the house decorated so beautifully, and everyone seemed to enjoy Sarah Grace and Sylvie's scampering among the crowd. The highlight of the evening, of course, was Jeff's presentation of the hog maw, a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch dish. I don't remember anyone but my step-grandmother, Millie Fuhrman, making this when I was young; my family tended to the pork and sauerkraut for New Year's Day. I do remember thinking it was gross -- stuffed pig stomach! Ewwww! But, no, Trish and Jeff have this dish down pat -- even Sylvie liked it! I wish I had taken a picture of theirs (there were at least three), but instead I'm attaching one from Flickr so you can see what it looks like. It's simply cubed potatoes and loose pork sausage stuffed in a cleaned pig stomach lining. PA German tradition is that if you don't even have a bite on New Year's Day, you'll have bad luck for the next year -- well, we ate our fill!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...