Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sisters

Yesterday I took the girls to Frederick to visit my grandmother while my mom, my great-aunt, and my aunt were there visiting her. This photo shows our three pairs of sisters that day: my great-aunt Marguerite Poole Angell and her sister (my grandmother) Helen Poole Null; my aunt Susie Null Stambaugh and her sister (my mom) Judy Null Fuhrman; and my girls Sarah Grace and (drama queen) Sylvie. It was taken in front of the coffee shop beside Grandma's home, Somerford Place.
Grandma was Alzheimer's Disease. She is doing very well physically, but she no longer knows who we are and she is incapable of taking care of herself anymore. Somerford has been a godsend for her and for us; they take care of her exactly the way she needs it, and she is as happy as she can be there. Unfortunately, Maryland's laws are not conducive to allowing for Medicare to finance care in an Alzheimer's unit; when her own money runs out, she will have to be moved to a nursing home, a completely inappropriate place for her at this point in her life, unless she gets lucky and gets a waiver. My family has written letters to our delegates in hopes of their changing the law, and Susie has even had a few responses!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...