Monday, January 11, 2010

Our Ballerinas

So, today I bit the bullet and signed the girls up for a pre-ballet class. I find it really hard during the week to do things in the evenings . . . it's a long day already and then to go back out and DO something often feels like just too much. It feels like we're a million miles from anything too, and that doesn't help -- too much time in the car makes me crazy. But I really feel that Sarah Grace should be experiencing a "class" of some kind; Sylvie took several classes of pre-ballet a while ago, and I think she really benefited from it. She learned to listen to a teacher, she learned to stand in line and wait her turn, and she learned a few new things about ballet that she still remembers. SG could definitely benefit from learning some patience . . . She seems to have some natural ability in the realm of flexibility and energy. George wanted (and the girls initially wanted) me to sign them up for another gymnastics class, but I just think those are too loose and silly. SG just pretty much ran around doing whatever she wanted; the instructor noted her unusual strength, but they all ignored her inability to sit still for any amount of instruction.
We take advantage of Jefferson County WV's rec program. It's quite a bit closer than anything in Hagerstown, and the girls have really enjoyed all their programs. Neither George nor I have any family history with dance or ballet; however, a bunch of the girls in the neighborhood are avid dancers. All three of the Mxxxxxx girls have danced; Lily was Clara in The Nutcracker this year for The Inwood Dance Company, and Norah is majoring in dance at Towson State University. Bella and Pip also dance -- I think over in Shepherdstown for a local company. I was excited to see that (at least for a short while) the girls can be in the same class. That was the kicker that got them to agree to ballet over gymnastics. I hope they enjoy it, and I hope we gain a little patience through the experience . . .

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...